Thursday, September 9, 2010

Flowers Hospital...again

I am always amazed at the most ridiculous occurrences Flowers Hospital puts me through. Whether it be outpatient, inpatient, or just plain tests. I've recorded many hospital incidents here in past blogs that are worth the find.

My most recent dealt with the Sleep Center. They were absolutely wonderful. Went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable and was taken care of, all except the woman who called the next day. After my first sleep in, the lady calls with extreme anxiety that I have to come back in this week because my oxygen dropped 88%. I told her I couldn't do that and we'd have to schedule another day. So she gives me a week from the night I went in. She wouldn't give me test results. Just told me they would give them when I returned.

So I returned. They told me they didn't have results to give me. I would be given a doctor's appointment and he would tell me. I slept with the machine and returned home. No information. Nothing. They gave me a sheet with a list of place to choose from to provide my CPAP machine. When they called back, I was to tell them which one to send the prescription for the machine. Yesterday, one week from my second sleep in, the same person called and asked me to give her the name of the place. I asked about my doctor's appointment because they told me at the last sleep in I would go to a doctor first. She said since I have medicare, I would go after sleeping on the machine because it was required.

I finally said okay and told her the name of the pharmacy I wanted to use. She said, "They don't have the machine." I said, "But it is on the list." She said the same thing. I said the same thing. "Why is it on the list then?" She said, "Sometimes they want free advertisement so they put their name on the list." Thinking this was utterly stupid, I picked another. "They don't have the machine." I told her to save me some time and just tell me WHO DOES have the machine. She said, "We can't recommend." I told her to tell me what the other patients do because I didn't intend to go down every one just to hear they don't have the machine. She said the other patients usually go by the doctor's suggestion. "And whom does he suggest?" I asked. "We can't recommend." "No. I'm not wasting time so you'd better just tell me." I finally won. "Breathing care associates," she said. And look at that...they are owned by Flowers Hospital. What a ruse!

Now that that was out of the way, I asked about the appointment and she assured me she would make the appointment for them to come out and set up my machine and then the doctor's appointment. Today...nothing.

I finally did get some test results after telling her I wouldn't give her a choice till I did find out something. She said I stopped breathing 31 times an hour and my oxygen dropped 88%. They upped the pressure on the machine the second night and I slept much better.

That's all I wanted in the first place.

I would give anything to have a decent hospital where I didn't have to worry about all of this. Now I have to remind myself they are suppose to make these appointments. If I don't hear from them, I have to call them back and asked what happened. I shouldn't have to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment