Thursday, May 19, 2011

UPDATE: Diverticulitis and Kidney Infection

Friday I awoke with a severe pain and swelling in my abdomen. Know that sign! Last time I ended up in the hospital for three days. Diverticulitis! Off to the ER I went with my compassionate neighbor. I am so thankful she was home because my only friend was out of town.

I was blessed in that I didn't have to wait very long to go back. They did x-rays, catscan, blood tests, urine tests, put in an IV and gave me lots of fluids and two pain shots along with something to rid me of nausea. Turns out I had diverticulitis but a milder case and a bad kidney infection. I'd had the symptoms for weeks but since I saw my rheumatologist the week before and he did a kidney test, I assumed he would catch it. He didn't.

I was there for many hours...many hours. So grateful God put my neighbor there with me. She was so kind and comforting. They decided to let me go home which I was thankful, too. The lupus sores all over my behind had begun to swell again and sitting in that hard bed was not helping. Two antibiotics plus pain meds plus antinausea meds went with me. Add that to the 20 meds I already take for Systemic Lupus, Aortic thoracic aneurysm (just below the heart - 4.5 cm), mononeuritis multiplex (permanent nerve damage in both feet and left leg), Insomnia due to lupus, Depression, arthritis in spine, degenerative disk, congenital spinal stenosis, Hypothyroid, Fibromyalgia, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, TMJ, Chronic Irritable bowel syndrome (constipation) and Sleep Apnea. Expense expense expense!!

After a week, I started to feel better. Still working on the meds, it wasn't long before a relapse occurred. Back to swollen painful abdomen and kidney infection. Have a doctor's appointment on the 25th so I'll wait until then. Will see what she does.

The only problem with the hospital I had this time was my history in their computer. They had my aneurysm in the WRONG place. They listed it in my abdomen. It is just below my heart and has been there for a long long time now. Now that is scary! What if it had burst and I had to go in the ER? They would have looked at the wrong end!

It took me a long time to trust a doctor. I still have a hard time and can tell within two visits whether they are worth the time, care, or just collecting the money. Unfortunately the first criteria applies to doctors I can count on one hand.

One day I'll be able to move to a state where health care is much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment