Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Being Angry

I've been told many times being angry at someone doesn't affect them in the least. It just upsets me. Knowing this truth doesn't seem to seep in enough to make me stop being angry. The one thing that makes me more angry than anything else is when someone makes promises they don't intend to keep. Seems Christians are the worst. Being a Christian, I can say this. I'm not talking about genuine following the Lord Christians, I'm talking about those who think talking their talk is enough. If they show up for every service, be a faithful church member, participate in every activity, but don't step out to follow up their talk, what good is it? I'm talking about those who say they will "be there" for you when you need them, then say I'm sorry for not being there to make themselves feel better. Over the past few years, I've had many do the latter. And this week, I got mad.

I won't say, "It's okay" anymore. Don't make promises you don't intend to keep. I have an old friend who has promised to move me to Wilmore so many times I could have moved there and back ten times. He has promised to check out places to live every time he goes home (to KY), but I never hear back. He asks what he can do when I finally have to move (or get shot in a war zone apartment) and when I tell him, he never responds back. Then last night he says the same thing again, "I'll be glad to move you to Wilmore." I finally told him if he wanted to do something for me, don't make promises you don't intend to keep. His reply was, "like what?"

For those of you who don't understand what this does to someone who is alone in the world, it gives them false hope, a ray of escaping a horrible situation, a horrible life, that someone truly does love them, cares they are in a horrible situation and will do anything to help them get out. But after promise after promise after promise, those hopes are smothered and hurt sets in. The hurt masquerades as reality and finally I just give up. Friends, whom I thought truly cared, those who make endless promises to be there, to help me when I am at my darkest time, just spout endless words. So words, which use to be gold to me, become dead lies in my mind.

I am ever so thankful God sends someone along to remind me there are those who truly follow Him whose promises are true. They are the ones who pull me out of the mire of hopelessness and help me live another day. It is then I can only hope those who make promises they don't intend to keep will someday realize how much damage they cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment