Wednesday, May 23, 2012

UPDate from Mary

It is in the 90's here already and living upstairs I can really feel the difference! I had forgotten how heat rises. To cut the cost of air conditioning, my fans are turning. Trying to keep the cost cut as long as I can. I hope you are staying cool. Looks like it will be a long, hot summer ahead.

It has been a whirlwind since my move. Started out to be the best place ever. So quiet I slept for days. As the complex started filling up, seems chaos just broke out. Took three months for them to finally get a manager here. Hoping beyond hope they will start enforcing the lease rules now. Was so thrilled when they told me at my interview that they had a 9:00 p.m. curfew here and it would be enforced (and was written in the lease). Seems some think it doesn't apply to them. While taking a letter to the mailbox late one night (to avoid the heat and sun due to my lupus), I was verbally attacked and threatened by a group of people at the pool. Had to call the manager to deal with it. She promptly threw them out. Said later the majority of them didn't live here. Later found out the group didn't live here at all. Just drives over here at night, uses the pool, parties in the parking lot. Note to Self: Unsafe to check mail at night.

Since I've been here, I've fallen down the stairs and had no help getting back up; been a victim of hit and run by a motorized scooter (by a kid) who came flying out of my breezeway, knocked me off my feet onto my back sending me to the doctor for x-rays and more meds; nearly been dog bit from a neighbor's dog (who was here illegally - have to be medically necessary with letter and deposit), cussed out by a neighbor because her dog almost got run over and I returned it to her door (another illegal dog); trying to carrying something up the stairs while my neighbor followed behind me, but never once offered a helping hand (whatever happened to kindness?);  had to stop my afternoon walks because of crowds gathered who wouldn't move off sidewalk (making me feel uncomfortable); and witness to a woman nearly beating her small children until they couldn't walk anymore. The surroundings, once so nice and clean, are full of trash. What a terrible shame for a brand new building.

I have a friend whose friend lives here, too. She has two small children. The crowd in the parking lot keeps her and her children awake. When she asked them to keep it down, they threatened her. She had decided to break her lease. She's too afraid to go to the office or call the police in fear they might hurt her.

My doctor filled out a form so that I could have my mail delivered to my door at my old location. When I moved, the post office came up with 1001 reasons why they couldn't do that here. For four months I begged and pleaded with them. Asked if I needed to renew the form. No response. No return calls. I finally got results when I called the main Postal Service number. It is amazing what happens when Birmingham Consumer Affairs gets involved. Today my mail is delivered to my door. They said what they did was not only wrong, but illegal. Why not? Add it to the list.

Since this past weekend, the police are making a nightly appearance here. If you go outside, you'll see them stopped with a group of people handcuffed. Just too much. So I've resolved to remain inside from this point on until my lease runs out in December.  Don't know where I'll go. How I wish I had family.

UPDate on health: unusual sores appeared on my chest last summer. Doctor said it was allergy from cat. Took antibiotics. In January, still there. Said it might be breast cancer. My rheumatologist sent me to a dermatologist to take a biopsy to rule things out. Turns out it is vasculitis. Huge stretch in diagnosis. These days I spend more time in bed than anything else. Just no strength.

I keep reminding myself to be thankful for every blessing. Today I was able to get out of bed. It was later in the day, but I did get up. I was able to walk across the floor. That was a huge blessing. I sat on the balcony and watched the mocking bird chase the squirrel across the fence. I laughed....huge blessing. All of the small blessings add up. When you get knocked down so much, you're due for something good.

No comments:

Post a Comment