Monday, March 11, 2013

Doctors- Again!

Forgive me for venting. If I had the choice of isolating myself from the attitudes of the medical profession, I'd be the happiest person in the world! Today I had to call and reschedule an appointment. That was simple enough. Just change the date from one to another.

The receptionist assumed I would just take what date she had available. When I told her what date I would have available, she came across stunned that I would have a problem.

"I can come the 19th, 25th or 26th," I said.

"We only give this test on Thursdays and Fridays. Besides, you have to see the doctor and he is only here on certain days. YOU have to take the day I have to give you. I have April 4th or 19th."

"Since I have a doctor's appointment on the 19th, I guess I'll have to take the 4th."

She was so put out with me she gave me the one opening she had for the day - 1:00 p.m. She didn't say thank you before she hung up, but I did.

This is the same office where the Fellowship student treated me so coldly. Now I have to go back and repeat that experience again. This time I plan to stand up for myself. He will not get away with treating me like something under his microscope. This man will learn to treat this person as a person. The doctor himself is very nice and compassionate. The problem is wading through the jungle of cold, uncaring souls to reach him. 

If I didn't HAVE to go to this doctor twice a year due to the medication I take for systemic lupus, I wouldn't go back. It tends to deposit on the back of my retina and can cause permanent blindness.

Just think - I didn't have to leave my home to get a world of cold dumped on me today. I should have taken a walk in the rain after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment