Monday, March 18, 2013

It Was A Dark And Stormy Night...

I picture Snoopy sitting on top of his dog house typing the start of a sentence, "It was a dark and stormy night..." But that is exactly what it was in Wilmore last night and earlier today. We had almost three inches of rain in less than twenty four hours.

I was awoken this morning when small pellets of hail hit my bedroom window. Thinking of poor Buddy outside in his make shift house on the front porch, I pulled myself up to check on him. He had already abandoned ship and was sitting as close to the front door as he could get. I opened the door, grabbed him and put him inside. Of course, he hated every minute of it, but at least he was inside away from the lightening and hail. He pulled a Rascal through it all by sitting on his hind legs and beating on the storm door yelling "let me out!"

And I did as soon as the worst of the storm had passed. I just couldn't bear allowing him to be torchered in that weather. This sweet cat who has been more of a neighbor to me than most neighbors I've had in many years, this loving cat who has shown me more affection than most people during my times of illness and loneliness, this creature of God who has brought me so much joy left outside mostly by his own choice, no, I couldn't do it. Of course, he preferred being outside. I just couldn't do it.

As soon as the hail had stopped, lightening had subsided and the rain had lightened, I opened the door to free the prisoner. He sat on the front porch and breathed in a sigh of relief. He did stop to eat a bite before venturing out into the wet world ahead. I don't know the "cat trail" he travels every day, but I'm glad he ends his adventure with me. He knows there is a box outside with warm, dry blankets in it and food for his belly. The next time you come across a stray, remember Buddy and the joy he has brought me.

The rain has stopped for today. My hands have returned to being useful again. There is still pain in the joints, but not so much that I cannot hold objects without wrenching in agony. I am still having problems with walking. My spinal stenosis is squeezing hard from the rain. And again, rain is pain in my world.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment