Friday, March 22, 2013

Old Things

Went on a new adventure with my friend, Julie, today. She has a favorite place where she shops for jams and jellies. The name of the place was Marksbury Farm Market in Lancaster, KY.

It was fun driving down the old winding Kentucky back roads today. Reminded me of college days once again. They are just as beautiful as I remembered, untouched nature, flowing streams, tall trees. I miss the country. KY country must be what Heaven looks like.

When we arrived at our destination, I pulled out the camera Sandy gave me and took some pictures of some great old buildings on their property. A delivery van had just arrived. One of the men asked me an odd question.

 "Are you on vacation?"
"No. I just like old buildings."

He seemed okay with that response and went about his business. So did I as I entered the old place and shopped with my friend.

When I loaded the photos onto my computer, it started me to thinking about old things today. So much of our society has become disposable. We have lost respect in "old" things. We are the "I want it now" society. "Use it and throw it away."

Few people respect buildings, furniture, tools, etc that was used before high tech took over. Sad isn't it?

Last night I overheard a student telling a story that involved a trip he took during spring break. He approached a cross walk and had to stop when a woman with a walker was crossing. His impatience caused him to approach the walk and lady in the walker a bit too close causing her to fear for her life enough she moved faster across the walk. He was laughing about the tennis balls on the front of the walker. It angered me to hear someone talk like this, especially an Asburian. Then I thought of him as such a jerk and I remember several jerks at Asbury when I was a student.

Our society doesn't respect old people either. I wanted to turn to him and say "Your day will come. It may come sooner than you think. You have no idea what is ahead of you once you leave the protection of this college." But I knew I would be wasting my breath. I wanted to show him my cane and remind him not every one who had to use a cane or walker was old, but disabled and we did not plan to be in the position we are in. What he sees on the outside is not what is going on inside.

Respect for old things is rare these days. I am drawn to old things. I have the bed frame my parents bought when they were first married. I have a table my dad made from 2x4's he used to scale fish on in the yard when I was growing up (not an antique but made by his hands), I have his old tools. I even use some of my mother's old dishes.

The Bible says this:

"In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you."  John 14:2

"And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." John 14:3.

I have had many talks with Jesus about the "mansions." I will not be a happy camper unless mine is a log cabin with a front porch, big fireplace,  sitting in the wooded side of Heaven where the snow falls and the animals come to feed. That, my friend, is Heaven.

Passing of Time





 

2 comments:

  1. Nice pictures Mary. Like you, I love taking pictures of old buildings and other miscellaneous stuff that's all around us. I've friend who posted pictures of New York City today and it made me want to go back up there and walk around and take some pictures of the great architecture that exists in that city. Country or city there's always something beautiful to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true, Liz! We walk around so much beauty every day. I think as we get older, we literally "stop and smell the roses" more.

    ReplyDelete