Friday, August 16, 2013

DOCTORS MAKE ME SICK!

Sometimes I wonder! WHY do some doctors care, check out the problems and actually search for solutions and some doctors just push pills? I have a rheumatologist who pushes pills.

I saw my rheumatologist today. He is as different from my AL rheumatologist as day is from night. Goes down the list of what my complaints are, but doesn't address them. Just pushes pills. Doesn't try to find out what's causing the new problems. Just pushes new pills. Doesn't care.

When I walked in today, I found out I had lost ten pounds since my last visit three months ago. I'm thrilled, but with all the meds I take, I don't normally lose weight. I haven't done anything different to lose weight. My blood pressure was way too low.

The woman who brought up my medication list only read off the list that this doctor prescribed. I told her she was missing more than half the list. This happened the last time. "Oh, the computer pushed them down to inactive."

So we had to relist them again as active. Some of the meds I didn't recognize because I take generic. So I asked what the generic was for the medication she spoke about.

"I don't know. I don't know anything about the meds."

"Okay. Now what do we do?"

I came up with the idea of looking at the dosage. At least we had that to go by. SCARY!

Doctor comes in and I tell him about the vasculitis attack I had. He didn't respond. Vasculitis is inflammation of blood vessels and dangerous. He wasn't interested. Told him about my hair falling out by the handfuls. He check and saw what I said was true. Offered no solution, but asked if I was taking my thyroid medication. Told him about my extreme fatigue. He just grunted.

I told him about my cat scan where they were looking at my gall bladder. I told him about throwing up and diarrhea once a week for four weeks.

"Did it finally stop?"
"Yes. They blamed it on lupus finally."
"Could be."

I told him about the extreme swelling in my feet and legs. Nothing. Told him about how my arms and hands went totally numb for days. Nothing.

Told me to get onto the table. Did not help me. I have to pull myself onto the table. Almost fell. No balance. Still weak. Barely touches the areas I spoke of.

I asked what he thought was causing the issues and what could be done about them.

He asked if I was still taking my vytorin.

"Yes, for the aneurysm."
"Maybe we should change your antidepressant and choose one that has more affect on pain."

"No, I've been through the gamut of those and only because lupus caused a chemical imbalance. Personally I wouldn't want to be on one in the first place. Shouldn't you be looking at something to reduce the inflammation in my body?"

"Oh, yeah. Okay."

He prescribed an anti-inflammatory. I didn't want another pill. I wanted him to find out what was going on in my body. I wanted him to care enough to explore. He just added one more expense to my already exhausted financial burden.

He left the checkout sheet on the desk and walked out. Left me sitting on the exam table to ease myself down without any help.

I've given him enough time to get it together. This is a horrible disease. It is destroying my body. I need someone to monitor it and take action when it is active. I don't need someone who doesn't care.

Time to look for a new rheumatologist. I am so sad today.

No comments:

Post a Comment