Saturday, November 16, 2013

A Friday Night

Went to dinner with a friend last night. We tried a local place in Wilmore. I was amazed at how abandoned the streets looked so early on a Friday evening. It almost looked like a ghost town. Since I'm on the other end of Wilmore and am unable to walk far right now (actually, I can't walk down the road right now!), it has been a long time since I've walked downtown at night.

We sat and had dinner together. SO thankful for the company. It had been a week since I've seen another person. One of the side affects of systemic lupus is losing friends. When people find out you're sick, they do several things: walk away in fear they might catch it, judge you as a lazy person, get tired of you quickly. No one wants you to slow them down. I've been left in the dust many many times by people who ask me to do things and then leave me by walking too fast (I walk slowly since I've lost all feeling in my legs below the knees and feet).

It is a rare gift to find one person who treats you like you're somebody. I'm thankful for that gift last night. Not much on talking. Think it comes from being alone most of the time. But I do listen and that seems to be the one gift God uses.

I spent most of the day in bed today (Saturday) because I felt so bad. When I finally was able to sit up, I heard the sounds of happy people coming through the wall next door. They always invite people to dinner on Saturday nights and it goes on forever. The only affect it has on me is sadness - being alone in the world is awful! Hearing the sounds of a family next door, one I barely cross paths with, just makes me even more sad.

Holidays are coming and they are focused on families. No one seems to reach out to someone who is alone anymore, not even in Wilmore. If only people would step out of their comfort zone and reach out to those who are alone, especially at the holidays, they would make a real difference in someone's life. Just look around you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment