Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Fifteen Years Ago

It was fifteen years ago July 3, 1999 that I had a great adventure. Meeting Kevin Spacey in NY. Hard to believe it has been fifteen years. He still makes me smile.

Here's the story written fifteen years ago:

Meeting Kevin Spacey in NY "Iceman Cometh"

I met Kevin Spacey on July 3,1999 in NYC after "The Iceman Cometh" on Broadway, my first and only Broadway play. We finally got tickets for my best friend and me to go see the play, "The Iceman Cometh." Let me say right now without her help this dream would never have come true. I ADORE Kevin. He's the one man who can walk into a room and literally tak...
e my breath away! We went to NY, saw the play, stood at the back of the crowd and came home the next day. I move up a few people and he leaned over my left shoulder to sign a photo. His face was two inches from mine. I nearly died. We arrived back home that Sunday and there was a message on my answering machine, "Kevin Spacey would like for you to come backstage to meet him after the play". Message was left Friday. I got it on Sunday. I live alone. There was no one home to call me and relay the message. I cried and cried as my best friend just stood there saying, "Unbelieveable!" I had forgotten I had written a letter to the theater to see where the actors would come out for autographs. It was important that I not be exposed to the heat or if I could get there for the matinee, not be exposed to sun as it activates lupus. I had written only to inquire about the location. I told them why I needed to know as I was sick and couldn't endure the heat. The letter was passed on to Kevin.

After pulling myself together from missing a wonderful opportunity, I called his assistant back and asked if we could do this again the next weekend. So my friend and I flew back to NY the following Friday. By then I was really sick from a lupus flare and the heat and travel caused me to swell and have to use my cane to walk. I had two braces on my knees because the joints had become swollen and it was hard to walk. My meds had added weight to me and my face. I felt like an ugly duckling and was so afraid he would have that ever familiar look of fear I've seen on other people's faces, the look of "oh she's sick, don't touch".

We went to the theater around 10:30 p.m. to stand near the door. When we arrived we saw Kevin looking out the door. I was terrified as it really surprised me. I tried to talk my friend into portraying me for the moment because I looked so horrible from the illness and meds. I was terrified he would walk into the room and would turn away from the sickly site of me. The man at the door said, "Oh, we've been waiting for you" and said Kevin had just looked out the back door to see if we had arrived yet. Then I was scared. We sat in the green room listening to him give his final speech over the intercom and then he walked to the back door past us. I almost fainted. He stopped in the door and said, "Mary?" and I went deaf. I stood up, he hugged me, and we had a photo taken. Then we spent fifteen minutes with Kevin talking about life, the play, his plans later after the play, my life. He was so compassionate and understanding, hugged me twice and never once looked at me like I was a sick pathetic soul. I actually felt like Cinderella. Before he had to go back onstage for bows, he took my hand in his and covered it with the other, held it a moment and kissed my hand and thanked me for coming all the way back from S. Alabama just to meet him. And yes, ladies, he has the most beautiful brown eyes and his hands are so large and so very soft!

I found out also that the week before he sent someone into the crowd to look for me and couldn't find me anywhere.He also left a message for me at the box office. We had tickets already so didn't need to stop by the box office. He went to great lengths for this to happen to me.

I have only one regret. My friend says I'm silly, but he asked what we were doing on Sunday before leaving for home that evening. We said we were going to the museum. He said he hadn't been to the museum in a long long time. Normally, I would have said, "Come go with us", but I didn't because of whom he was. Now I regret at least not saying it....why didn't I say it?

It was indeed one of the most beautiful moments of my life and I will treasure it always. I think about it when I go for medical tests for my lupus, or am in the emergency room or hospital. That memory is my positive thought. I'll never be able to repay him for what he did for me that day. He has a wonderfully big heart, is extremely intelligent, and is so very compassionate.

Someone asked how I got the photo signed. This didn't happen till almost three years later. A friend of mine's aunt played bridge with Kevin's mom. The aunt told her my story and how I forgot to get an autograph when backstage. Mrs. Fowler told me to send it to her and she'd take care of it. I sent it, a letter to her, and a SASE envelope to return it in. About eight months later, the photo arrived back to me autographed and sent back from Kevin. So I guess this story was a Trilogy of sorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment