Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Being Thankful!

Last week I wore a pair of shoes that apparently were not good for my feet. My right foot has been swollen for seven days now. I could  not put a shoe on until Monday night and then barely squeezed into it. I finally remembered what my best friend told me, "Ice then hot."

So last night I soaked my foot in scalding hot water after putting ice on it most of the day. This morning I could walk better! I was so very thankful! Looks like I'll be going up to a size 8 wide.

I am amazed at how many things we take for granted until we lose them. With each permanent loss we suffer a grief. I lost my health many years ago. Grief. I lost my parents and only sibling many years ago. Grief you only learn to live with as each day passes. I lost my physical ability to work a few years ago. Grief again. 

Since lupus (plus its additions) have taken so much life and ability from me, I've learned to take each day one at a time and appreciate the things I can do like stand in the shower, wash dishes, etc., things  most people take for granted. Today I was so thankful to be able to stand on my right foot with less inflammation. 

During the holiday season people tend to remember what they are thankful for. Just because my "thankful things" are different than yours, it doesn't make it any less important. The one thing that truly hurts is when someone remarks about the loss of my family. I always want to say this, "Tell me how to feel when you walk in my shoes." 

People are way to free to give advice whether we want it or not. I tend to shut my mouth and not say things to them because I wouldn't want someone to treat me that way. When they do and really leave a scar, it takes a while for me to heal from the damage and remember I'm not a bad person. No one needs someone standing in judgement over them all of the time. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Luke 6:31. What a better world this would be if everyone practiced what Luke had to say.

For today I am thankful to be able to stand on my foot and to actually put on a shoe again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment