Saturday, April 4, 2015

Simply Take For Granted

Daily I am amazed at how much we as individuals take for granted. Get up, shower, dress, eat breakfast and run out the door to work and school. Rarely do people think twice about the little things of life until they are put in a position where they can't do something. Simple little things we take for granted every day.

Today I went for a quick lunch, to a movie, and grocery shopping. It was the first time I had been past my driveway in two weeks. Most of the two weeks I was bound to my bed in a very painful lupus flare. My joints were swollen, had a high fever, felt like I had the flu. So when I have the rare opportunity of eating out or seeing a movie, I take it. Even grocery shopping has been reduced to once a month in my house. I just can't do what I use to do.

We saw "Do You Believe" at the theater nearby. I'm glad they're making Christian movies. I recommend seeing this one. I am amazed at how two people can see a movie of any kind and get completely different info from it. I saw the message of the church needing to take loving, caring, and sharing outside the church walls. In my experience the church has become an entertainment center, filled with sermons containing "I, I, I and me, me, me" in them, a feel good experience. I use to count the number of times the preacher would say I and me in his sermon. I read an article online from the newspaper where I use to live. The front page story spoke of how the church has changed its approach to bring in people. They are using concerts instead of worshipping. They are choosing contemporary music instead of hymns, they are avoiding the Bible and focusing on the "audience." When did the church turn so worldly? When did God's house of worship become a "campus?" When did "feel good sermons" overtake the truth? Does it have to become worldly in order to bring in the world?

I find it difficult to sit for long periods of time because of the pain in my back and legs - side effects from systemic lupus damage. So I search tv for Sunday worship. Not much out there that doesn't fall into the worldly category anymore. I only watch ministers who teach straight from the Bible, no I and me marathon.

When we went grocery shopping, I bought enough food for a month. When it is gone, it is gone. Several times I thought I'd pass out just trying to make it down the next aisle. Some ask why I just don't use a motorized cart. I don't want to take it away from someone who is on oxygen or struggling more than I am. So I walk awhile and stop. Walking in general has become so difficult. Shortness of breath, chest pains, etc. slow me down. I just cannot walk far anymore. Something I use to take for granted. Don't take it for granted.

In order for me to make it out the door, I had to get up two hours early. It takes that long for my joints to loosen up and move and for me to find the strength to accomplish things I once took for granted. Every bit of strength used cannot be restored throughout the day. Once it is gone, it is gone.

Please read "The Spoon Theory" here:

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

I'm trying to unwind and loosen the pain before I go to bed. As I click through the channels, I hear a news anchor say, "It is great to send prayer, but what about action?" She was referring to the Pope and his response to the latest Christians murdered. In my world, I say the same thing. I appreciate prayers, but has it become a way to not get involved in a person's life by saying "I'll pray for you" and keep going? I believe it is as much a sin to know there is a need in someone's life and do nothing to meet it. With a society so consumed with their own families, work world, and entertainment needs, what happens to those who have no one? And yes I believe missionaries are important, but it is just as important to meet the needs of those in your own backyard. Can you imagine what a huge difference it would make if people put all their sports enthusiasm into caring for the neighbor next door? What if they turned their love for basketball or football into compassion and love for the hurting people around them?

I don't talk much when I am around people. Mostly because they just don't get it. When I say I don't fit in, they say, "Sometimes I think I don't fit in," as they hurry on to their job, or church activity.

When I say I am alone, they say "I feel alone, too" as they hurry off to the next event or say they're heading out to see their children. When I say I am alone, I am alone. When you are alone at holidays, alone when you are in the hospital, when you turn on the tv during the day just to have some human contact, then you will feel alone.

I took for granted my family when they were alive. No matter how hard it was, how many problems we faced, how many struggles we lived through, there was someone who loved me regardless. I truly believe people don't care anymore, at least they don't care outside of their own families. Personally I can count those who do on one hand. Now before anyone jumps down my throat because they don't agree, just remember, you don't walk in my shoes. Your experiences have not been mine. This blog has been my life experience.

Sometimes I find myself holding on by a thread. Today is one of those days. It has been one of those weeks. I'm tired. I'm weak and worn.

When I feel my worst, Little Bit will crawl into my lap and purr. Rascal will curl up next to me in bed so that I feel another living being. Buddy will spend the day on the porch just waiting for me to love and pet him. Thank God for His beautiful creation in animals. I wish more people would appreciate them. The one God who breathed life into us also breathed life into his animal creation.

I am so thankful for His loving touch through them.

No comments:

Post a Comment