Friday, April 22, 2016

A Friday Post

It has been a whirlwind of health issues, doctor stresses and medication changes.

Last week my rheumatologist's office called. I couldn't answer the phone at the time and no message was left. It was 5:30 on a Friday and all had gone home by the time I returned the call. To me it is just as aggravating as receiving something in the mail that needs to be returned ASAP, but you can't call to ask questions for two more days. I spent Friday night searching for my appointment cards to make sure I had not written down a wrong date. It was 2:00 a.m. Saturday before I could relax and sleep. I assured myself if it was important someone would call back on Monday.

Monday came and no call so I just wrote it off. On Wednesday, I received a letter in the mail from the rheumatologist's office. It said my blood test had some very high marks on it and I needed to call them ASAP. So I called and found out they were in Berea that day. This is one of the most troubling parts of having doctors in KY - they are mobile. Never in the office every day. Always somewhere else when you need them. So I left a message.

After worrying some more and knowing how unreliable this office is in returning calls, I called back and spoke to the receptionist. She was kind enough to check my files and find out what the urgency was. When she found the file, she said my numbers were really high and to continue taking the antibiotic. She said she didn't understand why they sent an urgent letter.

Now keep in mind my appointment was April 4, This is the same day I had a blood test. This is the same day I begged for antibiotics because I had an infection in my lower jaw (people with lupus have very bad dental issues even though we take good care of our teeth). No infected teeth, just infection in my jaw that had run down to my lymph nodes. The infection had caused a severe flare from the lupus. The other instruction was if it happens again to go to a dentist.

This doctor and I have had several conversations about not being able to afford a dentist. No insurance I have covers it and I don't have the funds to see one. So I'll suffer when it happens again and be put in a position for begging for antibiotics again.

The first phone attempt was last Friday and the letter received April 20th. No test results received in the mail at that point. Good to know they would eventually call if there is an issue (pause for sarcasm).  No one ever returned the message I left on voice mail to the nurse.

When I was in Dothan, I was used to having a doctor's office that took care of everything and I just showed up. I never had to chase down test results or ask for assistance, or even have to suggest my own treatment. They took care of that. Also the office went beyond the call of duty when my rheumatologist would go out of his way to help me find resources to pay for my medication the first two years I was uninsured.

I haven't found one doctor like him since. Medically, I regret moving and would be happy to go back just to get the medical treatment I need. Doctors here don't spend enough time with you to know who you are or what you need. You're just a chart of numbers from blood tests.

Yesterday I saw my thoracic aortic surgeon. I had been to this place three times in a course of four years and each time I saw a different doctor who had taken the place of the one before. The first one was wonderful. Took full interest in my history and spent a long time getting to know me. The next time I went back he had gone and was replaced with a doctor who spent five minutes with me. "All okay, just come back in a year," he said.

I was so upset that I let two more scans pass by before I tried it again. Another new doctor had taken the bad one's place. I found out the second one didn't stay long. I wonder why!

Started out with a friend taking me to the visit in hopes it wouldn't be a long one. Low and behold, he had emergency surgery early that morning causing him to arrive late. There was a woman there who had waited more than two hours. She spent the entire time complaining about everyone and everything. Even cursed out the ladies at check in. She was ahead of me in line so I knew once she went back she would complain the entire time and then waste valuable time for everyone else. Thing is she didn't have an appointment.

 Gosh it must be awful to hate everything in the world!

It was two and a half hours before I saw the doctor. He was a 34 year old nerd. The nurse who checked me in had nothing but praises for him. Said he graduated top in his class. She also filled me in on the previous doctor.

My catscan showed an aneurysm 4.7 cm. He said we are not close enough for surgery. Must be 5 cm. He said it was a hard surgery for anyone to endure let alone someone who was sick as I was. His treatment was for maintain a low blood pressure and low cholesterol to prevent the aneurym from growing. My blood pressure was 158/85 yesterday, much higher than normal. Has been a trend lately. Also a high heart rate. So he decided to put me on a blood pressure medication to lower the heart rate and blood pressure. Referred the info to my regular MD. So who knows when they will get around to it. I told him about my surgeon in Alabama who hesitated surgery because of the lupus. This doctor said he wasn't afraid of the lupus.

I asked him if he would be there when I came back for the next scan and he said he wasn't going anywhere. Some hope.

If you're having to go to a multitude of doctors, having them get to know you and what you need is a rare treasure. I didn't know how much until I moved to KY. If I could afford to go back to Alabama and restore my medical care, I'd do it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment