Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Recovery Begins

Anyone going through a medical procedure suffers from the side affects. Anyone who has a chronic illness suffers a great deal more.


Sunday was rough. I woke up with a fever of 102 degrees. My abdomen was swollen and as the day went on, it doubled in size. I kept the fever all day while I swallowed the nasty Golytely prep along with ginger ale, apple juice and Popsicles. By the end of the day, I felt like I was dying! Couldn't take aspirin for the fever and since I was freezing due to the temperature, I crawled into the shower and turned on the hot water. Afterwards I put an ice pack on my forehead. Combined it seemed to bring down the temp some. Awoke at 3:00 am to take more prep and back up at 5:00 to finish it off.

Arrived at the dr's office for colonoscopy. Found out from my test eight years ago that I had suffered from colitis. They had retrieved my records from Dothan and asked if I had been treated for it. I told them it was the first time I heard the word colitis.

Note: it was a warm day outside. Unfortunately, it was warm in the exam/prep room, too. Their air had gone out earlier and was working overtime to bring it up. The actual room where they did the colonoscopy was very hot. Even though I was sweating, I still had a fever over 100 degrees. Was afraid they wouldn't do it.

Once in the procedure room, the doctor waited to speak to me before putting me out. She walked up, put her arms around me and gave me a big hug. She said she was going to take good care of me. Most compassionate doctor I have ever met. Too bad she can't be my rheumatologist.

Before I knew it, they had brought me back to the room and the nurse woke me up. I was enjoying my nap and didn't want to wake up, but there they keep you thirty minutes and push you out the door. I've had two previous colonoscopies and both places wouldn't let me go home until I passed gas. They pump you so full of air that they want to make sure you get some of it out. In Lexington, it was never mentioned.

They told me I had another polyp and sent it on to be tested. Also that the colitis wasn't inflamed. They also said I had internal hemorrhoids and my diverticulitis was inflamed as well. In other words, diverticulitis attack was what caused all the pain and fever on Sunday. I'm still having severe pains in my abdomen even though they aren't as sharp as they were Sunday.

I realized today that I had not passed gas at all since the procedure. It was late this evening that it happened. Explains why I'm so swollen still.

Unfortunately, my anesthesia nap was the only time I enjoyed sleep. Last night I couldn't sleep at all. This afternoon was bad, too. When I sat up to stand, my head was spinning. I haven't had that happen in a long time either. I realize it will take a long time to get back to normal, whatever that is. I'll just have to take it a day at a time and take it slow and easy.

So after feeding my feline friends, I'm going to bed. At least I won't fall there!

No comments:

Post a Comment