Friday, December 9, 2016

A Christmas memory

I entered a contest for free books today. They asked us to tell about our most memorable Christmas gift. I shared about the one gift I got the year I turned sixteen.

My family had struggled so much financially that year. I knew times were tough but cutting Christmas? Too hard for me to believe.

Turned out it was the hardest Christmas I had ever spent. My brother gave me a Christmas music record album by RCA. That was Christmas. He had refurbished an old record player for me the year before. I was sixteen and didn't quite get it. Broke my heart.

Looking back over time, I realized what a struggle it was for him to get me the album. I appreciated his kindness even though it was in hindsight.

I still have that album even though the record player is long gone. I have no way to listen to it, nut every year I take it out and remember that Christmas and how my only brother sacrificed for me to have it.

My Mama, Daddy and brother have all passed away and I don't have a family of my own. Remembering those struggles and sacrifices draw me back into the time we had each other at Christmas. If you still have family, spend time with them. Once they're gone, they're gone. And their absence is felt 100 times over at Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment