Thursday, February 9, 2017

Update on Cataract surgery

Saw my eye doctor Monday. After multiple tests, doctor scheduled surgery to remove the cataract on my left eye. She said she couldn't give me any hope in regards to improving my vision because I had too many things working against me: plaquenil toxicity, immunosuppressant medication (benlysta), glaucoma, lupus, and dry eye from the lupus, She also informed me that I run a higher risk of infection and possibility of losing this eye because of all of the above. With lupus my immune system is over active causing any physical illness to go off the charts. Instead of my immune system attacking the illness, it attacks my body. So Benlysta suppresses the immune system. It also opens me up for infections.

Surgery is scheduled for March 1st with a follow up on the 2nd. Not looking forward to this. The cataract on the right eye is now as large as the left. Thankfully the new eye drops have dropped the pressure in my eyes allowing me to have surgery.

This time of the month the Benlysta wears off. The pain is unbearable. Fevers are frequent. Bed rest is a must. My next IV infusion is Monday. Sometimes I wonder if it is worth it.

Appreciate your prayers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment