Friday, August 4, 2017

Finally Able to Update

I'm finally sitting up in a chair with the laptop on the table. Internet connection has been bad here. Taking advantage while I can.

The physical therapist and occupational therapist have been wonderful. Couldn't have picked a better or finer pair of ladies to get me back on my feet. They listen. A very big point since most people around here don't listen and don't follow through. Sad thing is this goes on in facilities like this all of the time. I'm thankful to have a mental capability to fight for myself.

First three days were a nightmare. Took three days to iron out the medications. Not kind to lupus flares. Joint swelling, inflammation and fever or two have been battling the incision and nerve. Turns out there was more damage once doctor opened me up. The siatica nerve was damaged and they had to repair it. His solution to dealing with pain? Walk four times a day. With the lupus and surgery, I've had double decker pain.

Saturday night not having pain medication took its toll. I was in so much pain my entire body was shaking uncontrollably, which nurses said was not a good thing.

Julie has been a God send to me. She stuck by me through the worst of it, feeds my kitties and loves on them, and does what so little do. She goes beyond prayer and actually does something. Too many use prayer as a passing comment or their duty complete.

The hospital was worse experience. Extreme pain. Calling nurse help took a long time. Once they parked me on the bedside potty, left a call button on the end of the bed and left. Call button hit the floor and I couldn't call for help. Forty five minutes later I was crying help toward the hallway because sitting that long after you have spine surgery was excrutiating.

Sunday here at rehab still fresh off surgery they gave me a suppository and took off. After fifteen minutes I pushed the button. No one came to my rescue for an hour. A young lady happened to get off break and see my light. There had been three aides on the hall that hour and no one responded. I had spent the last fifteen minutes screaming help from my bed hearing people pass by the door and no one came in. Nightmare.

I'm to the point where I can pull myself up, walk with the walker to the bathroom, bathe myself, get settled in the chair in the room. Things we all take for granted has become a monumental task. As of now I'm still stuck here until August 17. I plan to work extra hard in PT to get myself out of here. Missing my kitties. Missing my own bed. Missing the silence. There is a parade in and out of here all of the time and I'm tired of people in general. Something to be said for silence.

I almost forgot the phone incident. When I arrived there was no phone in the room. Someone apparently took it home with them. So for three days I didn't have a phone. It was almost a joke of a situation.

So I'm still in room 206 at The Willows at Fritz Farm in Lexington, KY. My best friend sent yellow roses a few days ago which really brightenened up the room. First flowers I ever had in the hospital in the 23 years of in and out of hospital care.

When you find yourself getting out of bed, taking a shower, getting dressed for the day, be thankful. One day you may be in the same shoes many of us are in now. One day at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment